Australia visa for Thai spouse


If the Thai spouse is in a relationship with an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident, or Eligible New Zealand Citizen then they can consider applying for a Partner (a.k.a. Spouse) Visa.

To be eligible to apply for a Spouse (Partner) Visa the Thai Spouse must be able to prove one of the following;

  1. They are legally married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen – Partner (Marriage) Visa
  2. They have been in a de facto relationship (living together like a married couple) with an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, for a period of at least 12 months immediately preceding lodgment of the application (unless they have entered in to a formal Civil Union as recognized in Queensland, Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Victoria or Tasmania only) – Partner (De Facto) Visa
  3. They are formally engaged to be married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, have personally met and are free to marry that person – Fiancé Visa

Most Partner applications work in two stages and unless you have been in a ‘long-standing relationship’ as defined by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP); the initial visa granted is a temporary visa only.

This means that most Partner Visa holders are temporary residents for two years, and then go through second stage processing which is when the permanent visa is granted. The two step process is DIBP’s way of safeguarding against people who are not genuine and you should also be aware that if the relationship breaks down before the two years is up the permanent application may not be approved unless certain circumstances apply.

Fiancé Visas go through a three step process – the first part is lodged offshore and once granted the applicant has around nine months to enter Australia, marry their sponsor and lodge the Partner (Marriage) visa.

All partner applications are judged on the genuineness of the relationship and the applicant will need to be able to provide documents to show that they are in a long term, committed relationship with each other.

If the applicant has only been in a relationship for a short time, then any application you lodge will most likely be rejected.

Partner visa applications can be lodged in Australia or Australia Embassy in Bangkok Thailand. The Fiancé visa must be lodged overseas at the Australia Embassy in Bangkok or the applicant’s usual country of residence.


  • Assessment in deep detail of applicant before starting the service.
  • We do understand that some of Thai people not families in English skill. So, we will handle all application process like translation, fill application , prepare document of relationship and interview practical.
  • Dealing with all government office and Embassy in Thailand to represent our client.
  • Guarantee on output of visa!

We have deep experience in successfully preparing, managing and coordinating in the visa application. Please let Siam Attorney help you for make the most benefit for you.